Farming Recovery Fund extended to Greater Manchester

Farmers in Greater Manchester who suffered losses as a result of flooding caused by Storm Desmond or Storm Eva are now eligible to apply for support grants of up to £20,000.

The grant is available to help with uninsurable losses including removal of gravel and debris from farmland, to reinstate boundaries and gates and re-cultivate grass and arable land. Farmers from Greater Manchester have an extended deadline of 15 April to submit an application via the Rural Payments Agency (RPA).

Farmers from flood-affected areas where the scheme is already open in Cumbria, Northumberland, Lancashire, Yorkshire and parts of County Durham have submitted over 400 applications worth £4.4 million, with more than £1.5 million already approved.

Farmers from these areas that have not yet submitted an application are urged to do so as soon as possible before the 1 April deadline.

Farming Minister George Eustice said:

We are extending the Farm Recovery Fund so that a small number of farmers in the Greater Manchester area affected by December’s floods can access the same support.

These payments to help farmers get back on their feet are part of a wider £200 million package of government support set up to help communities affected by the devastating floods in Northern England.

So far over 400 applications worth £4.4million have been submitted by flood-affected farmers in Northern England. I would urge any farmer who wants to submit an application to do so as soon as possible.

Farmers affected by flooding are able to claim grants of between £500 and £20,000 to contribute to the cost of restoring their farmland. This includes:

the restoration of productive stock proof grassland
the restoration of productive arable and horticultural land
the restoration of field access or track ways, fencing or gates or water troughs
the restoration of drainage on flood-damaged holdings

Farmers who want to apply for the Farming Recovery Fund can find the form and guidance at They can also contact the Rural Payments helpline on 03000 200 301.

Guidance for farmers who have lost livestock as a result of the floods can be found on the website of the National Fallen Stock Company

Get Our E-Newsletter - breaking news to your in-box twice a week
Will be used in accordance with our Privacy Policy

About The Author