RPA reminds farmers of important entitlements deadline

Farmers have less than two weeks to put themselves in a better position for CAP Reform by transferring entitlements ahead of the deadline later this month.

Rural Payments Agency (RPA) must receive any RLE1 forms notifying it of a transfer of entitlements by midnight on 21 October and the effective date of transfer stated on the form must be on or before 3 December.

From 22 October to early 2015, the Agency will be converting current SPS entitlements into Basic Payment Scheme (BPS) entitlements, so it will not be possible to transfer entitlements during this period.

Change Director Ian Hewett said: “We are working to implement the new Common Agricultural Policy (CAP) in a way that is simple, affordable and effective and want to make sure that the countdown to the new scheme is as smooth a change as possible for our customers. Although we have been working with stakeholders and customers for some time to publicise what is clearly a very important date, we felt it would be helpful to remind farmers and landowners as the deadline approaches.

“In particular, anyone currently claiming the Single Payment Scheme (SPS) who has less than five hectares of land and/or five entitlements, or farmers who have more entitlements than the area of land they can declare in 2015, may need to make decisions about the new scheme sooner rather than later.”

Entitlements can also be transferred next year by using the new CAP Information Service. Customers will need to register on the system to do this. They will be able to do this once they receive a registration pack.

The CAP Information Service online system will be introduced gradually, initially with small groups of customers, and on an ongoing basis over the autumn and winter. Customers will be contacted directly and asked to register onto the system. Customers will be able to register, check their details are up to date and familiarise themselves with the new system before confirming their entitlements, eligibility and submitting a BPS application in 2015. RPA will give more information when the service is ready.

The RLE 1 form and entitlement transfer guidance can be found on GOV.UK. The RLE 1 form can still be used after October 21 to tell RPA of any land transfers or mapping changes that need to be made.

Get Our E-Newsletter - breaking news to your in-box twice a week
Will be used in accordance with our Privacy Policy

About The Author